MediaWiki:Knowledge in Practice Centre Terms and Conditions
You may be viewing an automatically translated copy of these Terms and Conditions. The original and binding Terms and Conditions are written in English. In the event of a conflict, discrepancy or inconsistency between the automatically translated copy and the original English wording, you agree that the English wording shall prevail and is binding.
1. User Agreement
- 1.1 By using this Website, you acknowledge and agree that your use of the Website and its contents are governed by the ToU. If you do not agree with the ToU, please do not use this Website.
- 1.2 You agree that CRN Knowledge Mobilization Centre doing business as The Composites Knowledge Network (“CKN”, “We”, “Us”) reserves the right, at any time, to modify the ToU at its sole discretion, and you agree to be bound by any modification to the ToU.
- 1.3 As a condition of your use of this Website and its contents, you represent and warrant that you are legally entitled to enter into this agreement, the ToU, with CKN and you shall use this website lawfully according to applicable laws and the ToU. For clarity, you represent and warrant that you will not use the Website or its contents in violation of any applicable law, any rights of CKN or any third-party rights, including copyright and other intellectual property rights.
3. Proprietary Rights
- 3.1 The Website and all contents therein, including all text, data, information, images, artwork, illustrations, audio clips, video clips, designs, logos, graphics, interfaces, or code and the selection and arrangement thereof (the “Contents”) are owned by Us or our licensors (including other users). Accordingly, all intellectual property in the Website and the Contents are owned by Us or its licensors.
- 3.2 Any trademark, trade name, logo, service mark, domain name or other marks (the “Marks”) that are displayed and/or used on the Website are registered or common law marks of Us or our licensors.
- 3.3 Please see the Intellectual Property legend, provided at the bottom, identifying the ownership of the trademarks, copyrights, and patents relating to this Website.
4. Disclaimer of Liability
- 4.1 Without limiting the ToU, the Website and its Contents is provided to you “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ACCURACY, ADEQUACY, VALIDITY, RELIABILITY, AVAILABILITY, USAGE OF TRADE OR COMPLETENESS OF ANY INFORMATION OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. FOR CLARITY, CKN MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTIES THAT THE WEBSITE OR ITS CONTENTS IS SECURE, UNINTERRUPTED, ERROR-FREE OR WILL NOT RESULT IN ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES.
- 4.2 YOU ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR USE OF THIS WEBSITE, ITS CONTENT AND ANY RELATIONSHIP OR AGREEMENT THAT YOU FORM WITH THIRD PARTIES.
- 4.3 THE TERMS ARE NOT, NOR SHOULD THEY BE INTERPRETED AS AN AGREEMENT BETWEEN YOU AND ANOTHER USER(S). CKN IS NOT A PARTY BETWEEN ANY RELATIONSHIP OR AGREEMENT FORMED BETWEEN YOU AND ANY THIRD PARTY INCLUDING ANOTHER USER(S) ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE OR THE CONENTS.
5. Disclaimer of Damages
- 5.1 Your use of the Website and the Contents is at your sole risk, including any and all risks to your or any third party’s property.
- 5.2 Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in the ToU, in no event shall CKN, its affiliates, officers, directors, employees or representatives be liable to you or any third party for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages, lost profits or lost savings, loss of bargain or opportunity, business interruption, injury, lost revenues or sales, damage to product or equipment or to facilities, loss of goodwill, loss of data or for any damages costs or expenses associated with warranty or intellectual property infringement claims, whether foreseeable or unforeseeable and whether or not such damages are based on warranty, contract or any other legal theory, arising out of or in connection with your use of the Website and the Contents, even if CKN has been advised, or is aware, of the possibility of such damages.
- 6.1 You agree to indemnify, defend and hold CKN, its affiliates, officers, directors, employees and representatives harmless against any and all claims, losses, liabilities, causes of action, damages, and/or expense (including but not limited to attorneys’ fees) whatsoever, arising from your use of the Website or the Contents, breach of the ToU, or violation of any applicable law or third party rights.
7. Links to other websites
- 7.1 The Website may contain links allowing you to leave this Website for websites owned or operated by parties other than CKN (“Third-Party Links”). Third Party Links are provided solely for your convenience. CKN is not responsible, in any circumstances, for your use of Third-Party Links or the contents of any Third-Party Links. The inclusion of Third-Party Links does not imply an endorsement of any kind by CKN. You acknowledge and agree that your use of any Third-Party Links is at your sole risk. Your use of Third-Party Links may be subject to policies, terms and conditions of third parties.
- 7.2 For clarity, CKN makes no representation or warranty of any kind with respect to Third Party Links, and you agree to defend, indemnify and hold CKN, its affiliates, officers, directors, employees and representative harmless against any and all losses, liability, damages arising from your use of the Third Party Links or contents thereof.
8. Prohibited Use of this Website
- 8.1 Unless otherwise permitted, nothing contained in the ToU shall be construed as conferring any license or right to any of CKN’s or any third party’s rights including intellectual property rights.
- 8.2 You will not use the Website or the Contents in any way that is in violation of any applicable law, any rights of CKN or any third-party rights, including copyright and other intellectual property rights, or otherwise unlawful.
- 8.3 Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, examples of prohibited use include:
- (a) to copy, produce, reproduce, or publish the Contents in any material form whatsoever including translation, and communication to the public by telecommunication;
- (b) to modify or prepare derivative works based on the Contents, or to make a colorable imitation of any of the Contents;
- (c) to use or otherwise display any of the Marks, to register for any mark or domain names that is confusingly similar to the Marks; and
- (d) to make, construct, use or sell any inventions disclosed on the Website, whether or not protected by patent.
- 8.4 Unless lawful and otherwise permitted, you agree not to:
- (a) interfere with or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Website, including taking any action that may damage the Website or impair the performance, availability, accessibility, integrity or security of the Website;
- (b) make any changes to the Website including the Contents;
- (c) probe, scan or test the vulnerability of the Website without CKN’s permission;
- (d) post or send to the Website or any users of the Website, any unlawful, fraudulent, harassing, threatening, defamatory, indecent, sexually explicit, libelous, obscene information of any kind or otherwise violate any applicable law;
- (e) gain unauthorized access to the Website, the Contents or any computer systems, networks, or servers that are associated with the Website;
- (f) reverse engineer, or attempt to reverse engineer or disassemble any code or software from or on the Website;
- (g) use the Website to copy, store, host, transmit, send, use, publish or distribute any material which consists of (or is linked to) any spyware, computer virus, Trojan horse, worm, keystroke logger, rootkit or other malicious computer software; and
- (h) use the Website or the Contents for any unlawful purpose.
9. Registration and Accounts
- 9.1 You may register for an account with the Website by completing and submitting the account registration form on the Website and agree to be bound by the ToU.
- 9.2 You are solely responsible for your account and the maintenance, confidentiality and security of your account and all passwords related to your account, and any and all activities that occur under your account, including all activities of any persons who gain access to your account with or without your permission.
- 9.3 You will notify Us in writing immediately if you become aware of any unauthorized use of your account, and you agree to provide assistance to Us, as requested, to stop or remedy any breach of security related to your account.
- 9.4 You agree to provide true, current, accurate and complete information as may requested by Us from time to time and you agree to promptly notify Us of any changes to any provided information as required to keep such information held by Us current, complete and accurate.
- 9.5 CKN may, at its sole discretion, suspend, restrict or terminate your access to the Website or the Contents, and you agree not to circumvent or bypass, or attempt to circumvent or bypass, any access restriction measures on the Website.
10. Permission to use the Website
- 10.1 You may
- (a) view pages from the Website in a web browser;
- (b) upload or share contents through the Website where permitted, including leaving comments;
- (c) create a user account, provided you agree to the ToU and comply accordingly; and
- (d) use the Website and the Contents for personal and commercial use.
11. User Content
- 11.1 You warrant and represent all works and materials including without limitation text, graphics, images, audio material, video material, audio-visual material, scripts, software and files that you upload on Website or otherwise share through the Website (“Your Content”) comply with applicable laws and the ToU and will not infringe on CKN’s or any third-party rights.
- 11.2 You hereby grant CKN a worldwide, irrevocable, sublicensable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, license to use Your Content. You hereby waive all your moral rights in Your Content.
12. Governing Law
- 12.1 The ToU is governed by and shall be construed in accordance with the laws of British Columbia and Canada, without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of law. Any dispute relating to the ToU shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of British Columbia.
- 13.2 You shall not without our prior written consent assign, transfer, sub-contract or otherwise deal with any of your rights and/or obligations under the ToU.
- 14.1 If any portion of the ToU is determined by any court or other competent authority to be unenforceable, only that portion is deemed enforceable and the remaining portion of the ToU will continue in effect.
15. Entire Agreement
16. CKN Detail and Contact
- 15.1 CRN Knowledge Mobilization Centre doing business as Composites Knowledge Network is a not-for-profit corporation under Canadian federal laws.
- 15.2 You may contact Us at:
Composites Knowledge Network
309-6350 Stores Rd.
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4
16. Intellectual Property Legend
This Website is © CRN Knowledge Mobilization Centre 2021. All rights reserved.
We have common law rights over “CRN Knowledge Mobilization Centre” and “Composite Knowledge Network”.
Welcome to the CKN Knowledge in Practice Centre (KPC). The KPC is a resource for learning and applying scientific knowledge to the practice of composites manufacturing. As you navigate around the KPC, refer back to the information on this right-hand pane as a resource for understanding the intricacies of composites processing and why the KPC is laid out in the way that it is. The following video explains the KPC approach:
Understanding Composites Processing
The Knowledge in Practice Centre (KPC) is centered around a structured method of thinking about composite material manufacturing. From the top down, the heirarchy consists of:
- The factory
- Factory cells and/or the factory layout
- Process steps (embodied in the factory process flow) consisting of:
The way that the material, shape, tooling & consumables and equipment (abbreviated as MSTE) interact with each other during a process step is critical to the outcome of the manufacturing step, and ultimately critical to the quality of the finished part. The interactions between MSTE during a process step can be numerous and complex, but the Knowledge in Practice Centre aims to make you aware of these interactions, understand how one parameter affects another, and understand how to analyze the problem using a systems based approach. Using this approach, the factory can then be developed with a complete understanding and control of all interactions.
Interrelationship of Function, Shape, Material & Process
Design for manufacturing is critical to ensuring the producibility of a part. Trouble arises when it is considered too late or not at all in the design process. Conversely, process design (controlling the interactions between shape, material, tooling & consumables and equipment to achieve a desired outcome) must always consider the shape and material of the part. Ashby has developed and popularized the approach linking design (function) to the choice of material and shape, which influence the process selected and vice versa, as shown below:
Within the Knowledge in Practice Centre the same methodology is applied but the process is more fully defined by also explicitly calling out the equipment and tooling & consumables. Note that in common usage, a process which consists of many steps can be arbitrarily defined by just one step, e.g. "spray-up". Though convenient, this can be misleading.
The KPC's Practice and Case Study volumes consist of three types of workflows:
- Development - Analyzing the interactions between MSTE in the process steps to make decisions on processing parameters and understanding how the process steps and factory cells fit within the factory.
- Troubleshooting - Guiding you to possible causes of processing issues affecting either cost, rate or quality and directing you to the most appropriate development workflow to improve the process
- Optimization - An expansion on the development workflows where a larger number of options are considered to achieve the best mixture of cost, rate & quality for your application.